Padam Mobility launches HertsLynx, the first DRT in the UK using the Department for Transport’s Rural Mobility Fund (RMF)
On September the 19th 2021, HertsLynx, a new Demand-Responsive Transport (DRT) service powered by Padam Mobility and operated by Uno Bus will be launched in the rural areas of the Herts County Council in the UK. It will serve villages in North and East Herts and fixed destinations in Key Hub Towns. The service is expected to ease passenger journeys within these low-density areas and answer crucial mobility needs.
The HertsLynx service will be the first DRT service in the UK to be funded using the Department for Transport’s Rural Mobility Fund (RMF). To launch the service, the Herts County Council received £1,472,000 (from the overall pot of £20 Million RMF split between 17 councils).
The HertsLynx service is designed to improve connections between rural areas including filling a gap in public transport provision to fill the supply gap for east/west county journeys and access to town centres. Thus expanding access to employment, education, healthcare, and shopping. The proposed scheme will serve North and East Herts, focusing primarily on Buntingford and the surrounding area. Travel will be allowed anywhere within this zone, however passengers will also be able to travel to key points – such as hospitals and high streets – in six surrounding towns: Royston, Baldock, Letchworth, Hitchin, Stevenage and Bishop’s Stortford.
The service will rely on 3 new modern vehicles (operating in Hertfordshire in a free floating configuration) and an additional 2 buses scheduled for the second year (5 vehicles in total). It will operate from 7am to 7pm Monday to Saturday and 10am to 4pm on Sundays and bank holidays. Rides will be able to be booked in real-time or in advance (up to 30 days in advance).
Because the HertsLynx service is powered by Padam Mobility, it can guarantee that confirmed ride bookings will be carried out by the operator. No customers will experience a last minute cancellation, which can happen with other DRT technology solutions.
The service will be launched from 10 am on Sunday 19th September 2021. A stakeholder launch took place on 16th September to highlight the service to the local stakeholders and media.
HertsLynx: Why Padam Mobility?
Within the framework of the of the HertsLynx service operations, Padam Mobility will support the Herts County Council in the achievement of several objectives:
- Empowering non-motorized populations in their travel (seniors, minors, etc.)
- Reducing dependence on the private car and its negative impacts (pollution, maintenance costs, etc.)
- Opening up certain low-density areas by providing a public service accessible every day Improving access to services and jobs, in particular improving access to health facilities
- Digitalising the territory with the introduction of a solution based on optimisation algorithms thanks to artificial intelligence, but also on user friendly interfaces
About Padam Mobility
Established in 2014, Padam Mobility provides digital on-demand public transport solutions (DRT, Paratransit) to reconnect peri-urban and rural areas and bring communities closer together. To do this, Padam Mobility provides a software suite of smart and flexible solutions that improve the impact of mobility policies in sparsely populated areas for all types of users. To get users, operators and Local Authorities on the move. This software suite is based on powerful algorithms and artificial intelligence. It includes :
- Booking interfaces (mobile app, website) for users and call centres
- A navigation interface (mobile app and tablet) for drivers
- A management interface for operators and Public Transport Authorities
- A simulation tool for designing and setting up mobility services
Transport authorities, operators, private companies and consulting firms trust us to open up territories , to optimise the mobility offer and facilitate its operations, to accompany them towards operational excellence, and finally to enable environmentally-friendly mobility.
- +470 000 users transported in 2020 (already 365 000 users transported at the beginning of 2021) more than 1M users transported since our creation
- +70 territories deploy our solutions in Europe, Asia and North America
- 80% pooling rate in average
- Up to 3.3 x less expensive than a similar offer if operated by fixed lines
- 33% of our users were previously using private cars, 19% were walking or unable to get around
This article might interest you : Reconnecting rural territories in the UK: interview with Stuart Eccles, DRT supervisor at Lincolnshire County Council